The Green Party has long been in favor of legalizing marijuana. The End the War on Drugs section of our platform states the following:
- End the "war on drugs." Redirect funds presently budgeted for the "war on drugs" toward expanded research, education, counseling and treatment.
- Amend the Controlled Substances Act to reflect that drug use in itself is not a crime, and that persons living in the United States arrested for using drugs should not be incarcerated with those who have committed victim oriented crimes.
- Legalize possession, sale, and cultivation of cannabis/marijuana.
- Strike from the record prior felony convictions for marijuana possession, sale, or cultivation.
- Grant amnesty and release from confinement without any further parole or probation, those who have been incarcerated for the use, sale, or cultivation of marijuana in federal and state prisons and in county/city jails, and who otherwise are without convictions for victim oriented crimes, or who do not require treatment for abuse of hard drugs. Provide the option for drug treatment to those leaving confinement.
- Implement a step-by-step program to decriminalize all drugs in the United States.
Are you in favor of federal legislation of marijuana?