Green Party of Santa Clara November Newsletter
It's the time of year to offer our gratitude to loved ones, friends and family, our communities, and ofcourse mother nature for sustaining us for another year. We'd also like to thank all you Greens for sharing far and wide, our message of People, Planet and Peace Over Profit! Let's keep striving together for a society based on human values.
October Was All About Healthcare!
Santa Clara Greens and our allies have been campaigning for guaranteed healthcare for a long time and we put our efforts into high gear in October:
- October 5 - Met with Assembly member Kansen Chu's staff re: SB-562.
- October 14-15 - Had a two-day tabling effort at Sunnyvale and Campbell framers markets to collect signatures in support of SB-562.
- October 21 - Attended Assembly member Marc Berman's Health Fair in Mountain View to ask about his stance on SB562.
- October 24 - Campaigned in Sacramento along side CA nurses and the Santa Clara Single Payer Coalition to ask CA representatives to support Single Payer, Medicare For All and SB-562
Check out GPSCC YouTube Channel for Mike's interviews on SB-562 with Dr. Paul Song, and Green candidates Barry Hermanson and Eric Frame.
GPCA General Assembly in in Ventura County on November 11-12.
Our delegates are ready to travel to Ventura, CA in a few days to represent Santa Clara County at the Green Party of California (GPCA) General Assembly on November 11-12. We will share their report in our December newsletter. In the meantime, if any of you Greens are interested in attending the GA, please let us know as soon as possible since as we have a few more delegate slots open. See more details on GPCA General Assembly webpage.
GPSCC Sustainability Practices
We are proud to share our newly minted Sustainability Practices Reference, put together by our own Santa Clara Green, Cheryl McGovern, an EPA veteran who is passionate about the environment and advocates for zero waste practices. We aim to follow these guidelines in conducting our chapter's work to the best of our ability and we intend to share this with our community partners and challenge ourselves to minimize waste and our impact on the environment.
GPSCC November Events
- Nov. 4 - Saturday Anti-War Street Rally in Santa Clara - 11:30-12:30 pm - corner of Stevens Creek Blvd. & Winchester Blvd. Join the ANTI-WAR Street Rally every Saturday.
- Nov. 11 - Saturday Anti-War Street Rally in Santa Clara - 11:30-12:30 pm - corner of Stevens Creek Blvd. & Winchester Blvd. Join the ANTI-WAR Street Rally every Saturday.
- Nov. 14 - San Jose City Council Vote on Rent Control 3-5 pm, San Jose City Hall, 200 East Santa Clara Street, San Jose. Join the Greens and Silicon Valley Renter's Right Coalition to demand renter control for our city.
- Nov. 16 - Green Party of Santa Clara Co. Monthly Business Meeting 7-9 pm, San Jose Peace and Justice Center, 48 S. 7th St. Join the Santa Clara County Green Party for our monthly meeting to learn about our plans and actions.
- Nov. 18 - Saturday Anti-War Street Rally in Santa Clara - 11:30-12:30 pm - corner of Stevens Creek Blvd. & Winchester Blvd. Join the ANTI-WAR Street Rally every Saturday.
- Nov. 27 - Political Revolution Reading Group - 7-9 pm – San Jose Peace and Justice Center, 48 S. 7th St. The Political Revolution Reading Group will discuss Chris Anderson’s 2009 analysis of the internet economy, "Free, the Future of a Radical Price".
Green Party of California Literature
The new literature for Green Party of California is here! Our own Green County Council Nassim Nouri has recently joined the GPCA Clearinghouse Committee which works on creating communication materials for the State Party. The new literature, including a trifold flyer and a contact card modeled after our Santa Clara version, focus on California issues and will be helpful tools for reaching our communities. Find electronic copies here.
GPSCC October Meeting Minutes
We meet on the 4th Thursday of each month (with the exception of NOVEMBER 16th) at the San Jose Peace and Justice Center at #48, S. 7th St from 7-9 pm.
Our chapter's mission: Strengthen and expand the Green Party membership, candidates, political capital, credibility and visibility in Santa Clara County and contribute to the growth of GPCA and GPUS.
We'd love to have more writers for our Blog post since corporate media and 'produced' news will not reports on the real issues that concern us. So if you are passionate about an issue, consider writing about it to inform and inspire others.
Contact us if you'd like to submit a blog.
It's All in the Numbers!
We'd all be surprised if we knew just how many of us Green minded Americans are out there! Those concerned about income inequality, social justice, climate change, and healthcare, find no home with the corporatist top two parties so let's bring up our Green Party registrations! REGISTER GREEN
Green Party of Santa Clara County
48 S. Seventh Street, Suite 1
San Jose, CA 95112