Tarrant County Green Party posts petition supporting Sexual Orientation And Gender Identity survey questions
In an article written recently by Sean R. Cahill, PhD and Harvey J. Makadon, MD, for the LGBT Health journal, it is reported that the Trump-Pence administration is eliminating the use of Sexual Orientation And Gender Identity (SOGI) questions on national surveys. They write:
The Trump Administration recently removed sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI) questions from a national aging survey, and decided not to add a sexual orientation category and a transgender identity field to a national disability survey as planned. These actions have raised concerns that the major expansion of SOGI data collection on surveys and in clinical settings, which has occurred in recent years, may be under threat. SOGI data collection is essential to understand lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) health and the extent to which LGBT people access critical social services, including elder and disability services essential for living in community.
Special thanks to our friend, Dr. Carol Creech, an avid supporter of the LGBT community, for posting the article as a PDF.
It is believed by some that the collection of SOGI data is important on a number of fronts for the LGBTQ+ community.
- For the design and delivery of health services that are specific in nature for the community
- For the design and delivery of special needs services for the elderly and disabled members of the LGBTQ+ community
- For the improvement of law enforcement response to and prevention of hate crimes against the LGBTQ+ community
Upon the completion of the petition drive, we will send the petition results to President Trump, Vice President Pence, Senate and House committees responsible for services described in the petition, and to the specific U.S. legislators who represent the signees.
We are most grateful for your participation in the support of the LGBTQ+ community.
The petition can be signed at the Tarrant County Green Party (Texas) web site.
We the undersigned believe that the national collection of data regarding the sexual orientation and gender identity (known as SOGI data) of our citizens is essential to understanding the special needs of the LGBTQ+ community.
We reject all efforts to remove SOGI questions in national surveys.
We call upon the president, Donald Trump, and all elected officials, as well as members of the administration:
- to cease any and all efforts to remove SOGI questions from national surveys sponsored by government agencies
- to add SOGI questions to surveys that would enhance the protection of the LGBTQ+ community from hate crimes
- to add SOGI questions to surveys that would improve the knowledge of health care professionals and health institutions about the particular health needs of members of the LGBTQ+ community
- to add SOGI questions to surveys that would improve the knowledge of agencies that serve the needs of elderly and disabled members of the LGBTQ+ community