Oregon: Antiwar coalition, campaigns and election of party officers
CORVALLIS, OR – Happy New Year and Festive Holiday Season to All!
In this message:
1) Save the Dates, including upcoming election of Green Party officers at the January 21st convention, consider running
2) Mobilizing to organize an antiwar/Peace economy coalition in Oregon - February 19 marks 1 year start of the War in Ukraine - Watch the Code Pink video The War in Ukraine and help us make the video trend on socia media.
3) Special elections May 2023 - School board, Soil & Water Conservation, non partisan
4) Last week to claim your tax credit for political contributions
1. Save the dates
January 21st Convention - We are recruiting up to 4 Steering Committee members and national delegates. If interested please fill these forms:
In addition, the Liberty Caucus is hosting a pre-convention meeting January 7 10am-1pm to review and discuss some of its proposed resolutions. Click here for January 7th meeting agenda. Click here for Green Liberty Caucus Agenda items.
When: Saturday, January 7th, 10:00 - 1pm for Liberty Caucus Meeting; Saturday January 21 for the Pacific Green Party Convention and party elections (Sat Jan 21, 10 am-3 pm)
Where: on Zoom, links can be found at pacificgreens.org/events - Important - you need to preregister for the convention so we can qualify you as a supporting member to vote.
How and Why: We strive for consensus and the process takes time to talk and debate and build understanding. The January 7 meeting will provide PGP members an opportunity to review and weight in on Green Liberty agenda item prior to the January 21 Convention.
2. Oregon Antiwar/Peace Economy coalition
We are helping to organize an antiwar coalition with allies to participate in a series of events starting in January through May Day and pressure elected officials.
Some of the key dates start with MLK in January, V Day in February, Feb 19 anniversary of the invasion of Ukraine, March 8 (International Women's Day), April 22 (Earth Day) and May Day
3) Special elections May 2023
We have started compiling the list of races open for the May 16 Special elections; please join us at the campaigns committee meeting, 2nd Monday of the month, 8pm to review those, strategize, recruit and plan. Many are school board elections, some are Soil and Water Conservation Districts, or local office. These are non partisan.
We will have a brief convention March 11 to review endorsement and nomination requests and help get candidates elected.
4) Last weeks to claim your tax credit
December 31st is the last day for you to use your 2022 Oregon state income tax credit for political contributions.
The credit is up to $50 per person or $100 per couple. You can contribute those amounts to the Pacific Green Party and get it all back on your 2022 state income tax return. You are eligible if:
- You are an Oregon resident.
- You will submit an Oregon tax return for 2022.
- Your adjusted gross income was less than $75,000 (or less than $150,000 for couples filing jointly).