Green Party Kicks Off Pride Month with Call for Action
Washington, DC – The Green Party of the United States has kicked off Pride Month with a call for action to continue the fight for full equality for LGBTQIA+ people.
“Pride Month is a time to celebrate the progress that has been made for LGBTQIA+ rights, but it is also a time to reflect on the work that still needs to be done,” said Joseph Naham, co-chair of the Green Party of the United States. “We must continue to fight for full equality for LGBTQIA+ people, including the right to marry, the right to adopt, and the right to serve openly in the military.”
Green Party of the United States
For Immediate Release:
June 5, 2023
Gregg Jocoy, Co-Chair, Media Committee, [email protected], 202-804-2758
Gloria Mattera, Co-Chair, Media Committee, [email protected], 202-804-2758
Margaret Elisabeth, Spokesperson, Green Party National Lavender Caucus, [email protected]
The Green Party is deeply concerned about the current spate of anti-LGBTIQ laws being enacted around the country.
- Adoption: In Arkansas, a law was passed in 2021 that prohibits same-sex couples from adopting children. This law is currently being challenged in court.
- Educational Resources: The “Don't Say Gay" law in Florida, now expanded to all grades; and the ban on transgender athletes competing in women's sports in Idaho. Undoubtedly, these laws are having effects of increased fear and anxiety into the experiences of LGBTQIA+ people.
- Housing: In Florida, a law was passed in 2022 that prohibits transgender people from using the bathroom that corresponds with their gender identity. This law is currently being challenged in court.
- Health care: In Iowa, a bill banning age-appropriate, medically necessary care for transgender youth was just signed into law; and in Florida, a new law bans all gender affirming healthcare and licenses the state to take trans children from their families.
These are just a few examples of the many anti-LGBTQIA+ laws that have been enacted in recent years. These laws are discriminatory and harmful to LGBTQIA+ people and their families. They create a climate of fear and make it difficult for LGBTQIA+ people to live their lives freely and openly. We call on all elected officials to oppose these laws and to uphold the rights of all people, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity. By addressing the current spate of anti-LGBTQIA+ laws we aim to raise awareness of this issue and show our support for the LGBTQIA+ community.
The Green Party is committed to fighting for LGBTQIA+ rights. The party’s platform includes a number of planks that support LGBTQIA+ equality, including:
- Marriage equality
- The right to adopt
- The right to serve openly in the military
- Protections against discrimination in housing, employment, and public accommodations
“The Green Party of the United States is a party of justice and equality for all,” said Margeret Elisabeth, Spokesperson of the Green Party’s National Lavender Caucus. “We believe that everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.”
“We must continue to fight for justice and support of LGBTQIA+ people until all are treated with the dignity and respect they deserve,” they added. “The Green Party calls on all Americans to join the fight for LGBTQIA+ equality. The party urges everyone nationwide to contact their elected officials and demand that they pass policies that support full equality for LGBTQIA+ people.”
Green Party of the United States
Green Party Platform
Green New Deal
Green candidate database and campaign information
Green Pages: The official publication of record of the Green Party of the United States