Wednesday Oct. 21 –7:00– 8:30 p.m. A Zoom-enabled Meeting with expert panelists.
As coronavirus surges across the US and in many parts of the world, Cuba is among the few nations in the world that have successfully contained the pandemic. Moreover Cuba has sent brigades of thousands of doctors and other medical staff to assist more than 20 nations in their fight against the pandemic.
- How is it possible that a small, poor county like Cuba has developed a universal healthcare system widely recognized around the world for its excellence?
- How can it send thousands of doctors not only now to fight COVID-19, but for the past 50 years to assist with medical emergencies and humanitarian disasters?
This Wednesday (Oct. 21) at 7:00 p.m. authors of 3 recent books on the subject will address these and other questions regarding Cuba’s healthcare system, its response to the pandemic at home, and the work of its medical brigades fighting COVID-19 in more than 20 countries. Please register for the Zoom presentation (info below), and encourage your friends to do the same (you may use this message and/or invite them using the Facebook event page and invite your FB friends (click on “Share” then on “Invite Friends” and do so).
The presenters are:
- How Cuba developed a medical system that provides world class health care to all its people -- and how that system is managing the coronavirus today with great success.
Presenter: Don Fitz who literally just “wrote the book” on Cuba’s health care system (Cuban Health Care: The Ongoing Revolution, MR Press June 2020). Don Fitz has taught Environmental Psychology at Washington University in St. Louis, is on the Editorial Board of Green Social Thought, and was the 2016 candidate of the Missouri Green Party for Governor.
- How Cuba’s response to the coronavirus is informed by their experience providing a decisive role in containing the Ebola epidemic in western Africa (2013-2016).
Presenter: Roger Calero, Pathfinder editor and co-author of the introduction to Enrique Ubieta’s book: Red Zone: Cuba and the Battle Against Ebola in West Africa
- How thousands of Cuban doctors and other medical staff are fighting COVID-19 in more than 20 countries in Latin America, Africa and Europe [#SavingLives Campaign]
Presenter: Isaac Saney, author of the widely acclaimed book "Cuba: A Revolution in Motion", a detailed look at the Cuban Revolution since the collapse of the Soviet Union to today. Isaac Saney’s film: “African Stalingrad: The Cuban Revolution, Internationalism, and the End of Apartheid” documents the decisive role of Cuba in achieving the independence of Namibia and ending racist rule in South Africa. Isaac Saney is Co-chair and spokesperson of the Canadian Network on Cuba.
Followed by Discussion and Q&A
RSVP & Invite your friends at: https://www.facebook.com/events/679233102723385/
- Women Against War
- Bethlehem Neighbors for Peace
- Solidarity Committee of the Capital District
- Upper Hudson Green Party
- Capital District Socialist Party
- Socialist Workers Party
- Capital Area Against Mass Incarceration
Sponsor/Info: [email protected]
- October 21, 2020 at 7pm – 8:30pm