Record Number of Candidates in 2019!
We are excited to report that the Indiana Green Party (INGP) will field more candidates in 2019 than we have in total since 2002! Among the candidates is our State Chair, Monica James, who is the first African-American Green Party candidate to run for office in the state.
The candidates include the following:
- Sarah Dillon (Vigo County Green Party) – Terre Haute City Council, District 2
- Joseph Conn (Northwest Indiana Green Party) – Hobart City Council, At-Large
- Susan Brown (Northwest Indiana Green Party) – Valparaiso City Council, District 1
- Michael Cooper (Northwest Indiana Green Party) – Portage City Council, District 2
- Mike Smith (Circle City Greens) – Indianapolis City-County Council, District 16
- Monica James (East Central Indiana Greens) – Muncie City Council, District 4
Prior to 2019, only three Indiana Green Party candidates had achieved ballot access:
- Jeff Melton – U.S. Representative, 9th District (2002)
- Beth Hayes – State Representative, 99th District (2010)
- Alan McPherson – Kewanna Town Council (2018)
The INGP is surging, doubling our previous number of candidates who achieved ballot access.
"Thanks to everyone on the State Coordinating Committee and all of the local organizations who have helped our state field an excellent and exciting group of candidates," INGP Chair Monica James stated. Six Indiana Green Party candidates have achieved ballot access in 2019, a first for our party. "We are making history together, but we still have a lot of hard work ahead of us. I know our candidates are committed to doing this work and, ultimately, they are fully prepared to represent voters in their cities. I would like to officially congratulate everyone today and to say thank you to Indiana Green Party members for their hard work and dedication in moving our great state forward!"
Election day is November 5, 2019. If you are interested in helping with any of these campaigns, send us a message or get connected with your local group!
Indiana Green Party Co-chair, Monica James, and all other listed candidates are currently available for interview. To schedule an interview, please contact Elliott Crow, Communications Director, at email@example.com.
The 2019 Indiana Green Party State Congress will be held on Saturday, July 13th, at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Muncie from 1:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST. Come and meet fellow Greens, help us shape our platform, discuss future candidacies, and more. Click here to learn more and register for the event.
The INGP strives to live by the values of the Green movement. Everything the Party does is based on the four pillars: Democracy, Ecological Wisdom, Nonviolence, and Social Justice. Thanks for your continued support.
Indiana Green Party