Help Elston McCowan be the 1st Green Candidate to defeat a Democrat in Missouri
Elston McCowan received 37% of the vote against his Ward 2 Democratic Party opponent in 2015. The incumbent was a Democrat who had name recognition in an overwhelmingly Democrat ward of St. Louis City. This year the incumbent left to take a position in the new mayor's government and Elston is better known than the candidate nominated by the Democrats.
Many in Ward 2 are fed up with the Democrats failing to stand up for their community and have shown with their votes that they are willing to break with the Democratic Party. Dozens have already signed up to work for Elston. If he wins the November 7 election, he will not only be the first Green to defeat a Democrat in a partisan Missouri race, but (likely) the first black Green to defeat a Democrat anywhere.
The Democratic Party is a well-funded and well-oiled machine. Elston cannot win without support from Greens across the US as well as his neighbors. You do NOT have to live in St. Louis to help make this a victory. Elston's web site is still being developed and added to.
Please return this email and indicate which of the following you can do to help Elston win:
- Can you donate $1000, $500, $250, $100, $50 or $25? [indicate which].
- If you are in St. Louis, we very, very much need you to help canvass in Ward 2 on Saturday, Oct 14, Oct 21, Oct 28 &/or Nov 4.
- If you are not in St. Louis, do you live close enough to come to help canvass either of the critical Saturdays before the election: Oct 28 or Nov 4? [We can find you a place to spend the night.] * Can you search websites for information needed for the campaign? * Can you assist Elston in drafting electronic responses to queries?
- Do you know state or local Green Parties you could send information to about Elston's campaign? If so, what group[s]?
- Can you help transcribe TV interviews with Elston?
Elston is campaigning on two levels. First, he is focusing on the “bread and butter” issues that he knows are important to Ward 2 by pointing out that strong and effective leadership is necessary to obtain City funding for parks, making homes energy efficient, clean streets and allies and other services. The Democrat ward bosses are content to let Ward 2 targeted funds slip away. Second, Elston emphasizes the Green Party belief that it is necessary to stop endless wars of the US in order to devote finances essential for needs of US cities, including schools, libraries and youth programs.
Elston needs your support to win. As the election is only a few weeks away, please get in touch as soon as you can.
For information call 314-727-8554 or visit: