The Green Party supports the right to Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
In keeping with the Green Key Values of diversity, social justice and feminism, we support full legal and political equality for all persons regardless of sex, gender, sexual orientation, or gender identity, characteristics, and expression.
- The Green Party affirms the rights of all individuals to freely choose intimate partners, regardless of their sex, gender, or gender identity.
- The Green Party recognizes the full civil rights of sexual and gender minorities. The existing civil rights act prohibits discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, and disability. We will work to add sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression to the existing civil rights act.
- The Green Party will be inclusive of language in local, state and federal anti- discrimination law that ensures the rights of intersex individuals and prohibits discrimination based on gender identity, characteristics, and expression as well as on sex, gender, or sexual orientation. We are opposed to non-consenting intersex genital surgery.
- The Green Party affirms the right of all persons to self-determination with regard to gender identity and sex. We affirm the right of choosing non- binary and gender fluid identification. We therefore support the right of individuals to be free from coercion and involuntary assignment of gender or sex.
- We will pursue legislation where offenders must pay compensation to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual (LGBTQIA) people who have suffered violence and injustice.
- The Green Party will end all Federal military aid to national governments whose laws result in the death, other harm, or imprisonment of its citizens and residents who are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual (LGBTQIA).
- The Green Party will enact a policy that the U. S. Government recognize all same sex marriages or legal equivalents such as civil unions, in processing visitor and immigration visas.
- The Green Party would end security surveillance and covert infiltration of organizations that promote rights for sexual and gender minorities.
Apr 02, 2020
ALBANY, NY – There has been considerable discussion over the last few weeks within the Green Party about transgender rights. The Lavender Caucus of the Green Party of the United States issued a statement calling on the state Green Party of Georgia to retract its endorsement of the “Declaration on Women’s Sex-Based Rights” or face decertification by the national party. Some Greens have condemned Georgia’s actions outright while others have called for a respectful dialogue to facilitate understanding of the different points of view.
Mar 29, 2020
From the Executive Leadership of the National Black Caucus of the Green Party of the United States
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 28, 2020
Darryl! LC Moch, co-chair, [email protected]
Robin Harris, co-chair, [email protected]
Dec 23, 2019
By Madelyn Hoffman
December 23, 2019
On December 17th, the U.S. Senate, by a vote of 86-8, passed the 2020 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). This bill increases the military budget to an obscene $738 billion. Senator Cory Booker did not vote. Neither did Senators Harris, Klobuchar, Sanders or Warren. How can presidential candidate Booker speak out in a national interview exactly one month ago today about the need to contain military spending and executive power in declaring war and then not vote on the NDAA which both increases military spending and fails to rein in executive power? This is unacceptable -- New Jersey is the loser here.
Nov 21, 2019
HUNTINGTON, NY – The Green Party of Suffolk continues its support of Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDOR). TDOR is a worldwide event held every November to raise awareness about discrimination, violence, and murder directed against transgender (living as or expressing a gender other than the one expected at birth), intersex (biologically in-between or outside male and female), and gender-nonconforming (acting in any way contrary to gender stereotypes) people, to commemorate the lives of transgender, intersex and gender-nonconforming people around the world who have been killed due to this kind of discrimination and violence within the past year, making a more safe, understanding, and accepting world.
Nov 20, 2019
Jun 28, 2019
Today, June 28, 2019, is the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising that sparked the militant gay liberation movement and was the seed of PRIDE festivals and widespread advocacy for LGBTQIA rights. Today, we commemorate Stonewall and commit to continuing to work for equal rights for all. The Howie Hawkins 2020 campaign stands in solidarity with people seeking equal justice under law and for a society that is accepting and welcoming of the entire spectrum of human gender and sexuality. We oppose prejudice on any front including toward that continuum of sexuality, which our culture is only beginning to understand.
Jun 14, 2019
When I joined the Army over 27 years ago, I was asked three times if I had sex with a partner of the same sex. I was asked twice if I used illegal drugs. This was the first evidence I saw of structural prejudice towards the LGBTQ+ community.
When Bill Clinton became president, in a half-hearted attempt to allow equal rights of LGBTQ+, he instituted the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” program that said if you are willing to stay in the closet, you can serve your country. Don’t forget under President Clinton, the Defense of Marriage Act passed, preventing the marriage of same sex couples.
Oct 28, 2018
This has been a horrendous week of hate: Beginning with the Administration’s efforts to persecute and threaten the lives of millions of transgender people through a change in the official definition of gender, and ending with the unspeakable, anti-semitic tragedy in Pittsburgh.
Green Party of Pennsylvania members extend our deepest sympathies and offer our support to the victims of these acts of violence. These unspeakable anti-semitic, cissexist, bigoted attacks are a tragic indignity to our American values. We stand in solidarity with the Tree of Life Synagogue, the trans community, and the victims of these horrific hate crimes.
Sep 25, 2018
Don't miss the first in a series of important forums in NYC sponsored by the Hawkins/Lee for Governor campaign! TODAY, September 25th! See below for details. More forums to come. We will keep you updated.
Also, please join us for the Green Party of Brooklyn regular Thursday night campaign meeting this week on Thursday September 27th at 7:00 pm at 31 Smith Street in Brooklyn.
Sep 24, 2018
Greens are leading the way on critical policies like strong local schools, municipal utilities, public banks, support for small businesses and worker cooperatives. We're calling for millions of jobs to achieve 100% clean renewable energy by 2030, Medicare For All, and requiring the wealthy few to pay their share of taxes.
We support Green campaigns at every level. Plus we also help them with campaign infrastructure: training their volunteers, providing technical support, leading campaign schools... the list is endless. We have hundreds of Greens all over the country working hard on their campaigns and they are counting on the support of people like you!